Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday Musings

- I'm watching the Ken Burns documentary on the Roosevelt's and Doris Kearns Goodwin sounds just like Edie Falco. I wonder if they are related? Also, Eleanor Roosevelt was the niece of Teddy Roosevelt, and fifth cousins once removed with her husband, but more importantly, her last name was always Roosevelt. It's basically blowing my mind. I can't imagine that if I fell in love with my fifth cousin once removed whose last name was Dachroeden, and I'd be like 'Hi, this is my boyfriend Kenneth Dachroeden,' that my friends wouldn't be like 'Whaaaaaaaaa?' I don't think I could do it no matter how far removed we were. I don't care how great of a first lady she was; that's effed up.

- Jamie is gone for the second week in a row so I am taking over our living room/dining room with clothes and toys for the MOTC resale. I am finally getting rid of all 2t size clothes, I don't care if P can still fit into some of them, it is time to let them go. And I have 40+ pairs of pajamas. I'm not exaggerating. I have no idea why I have so many pajamas.

- Penny started dance again last week and of course she has a love/hate relationship with it. She loves it until the moment it starts and than she cries and makes a huge scene. I really need to stop being such an awesome mom, I can understand why it is torture for her to be away from me for 55 minutes. Dance class goes from 5 to 6 basically, and Jamie is not home to worry about, so for the last two weeks I've gone through the drive thru at Jimmy John's and Steak n Shake, as I think after 20 years of eating Steak n Shake probably at a minimum of once a month and maximum of once a week I am so sick of it that I can't even think of anything on the menu that sounds remotely appetizing. Plus Jimmy John's has delicious bread. But now I'm afraid of getting into this habit of getting the kids fast food once a week, which I really do not want to do. That type of food is addicting (until that day when the thought of it makes you want to vomit), and I don't want to start down that road ever, and especially not at this young age. But with traffic it take us til about 6:30 to get home, which is awfully late for me to prepare anything. 5 o'clock is a super crappy time to have dance class. I think next week I'll try feeding them dinner at home at 4 and than have a decent snack before bed. I know you'll all be on the edge of your seat about what I do, I'll be sure to update you with a live Twitter feed next week.

- I had my 15-year class reunion this weekend and I can honestly say that I had a really good time. A surprisingly good time actually. I was pretty nervous about it in the weeks leading up to it, mostly about what to wear and than when I figured that out I was worried about not remembering someone who remembers me and having a super awkward moment. (That only happened once, and I corrected myself and apologized.) And for those of you who were there and are thinking 'She was nervous about wearing jeans and a shirt?', I had a dress picked out but than it got to damn cold and I had four minutes to get ready between a birthday party and dropping the kids at my moms, so I just gave up and went with the casual look. But anyway, there was a good variety of people there and everyone was really nice and friendly and it was genuinely good to see people I haven't seen or even thought about in fifteen years. I got REALLY drunk at my ten-year, I can honestly say I don't know if I have ever been that drunk since my freshman year of college which was when I started drinking and would drink Screwdrivers like they were Coke Zero, and I knew I did not want to do that again which was a smart move. Plus the venue was a lot more conducive to mingling, and less conducive to sitting and drinking non-stop. Plus plus there was no open bar. Let's just go ahead and be honest and say that was the only thing holding me back this time. I am a sucker for an open bar.

- And last but definitely not least, I'M GOING TO SEE STEPHEN KING IN NOVEMBER, IN PERSON, REAL LIFE STEPHEN KING, IN THE SAME ROOM, BREATHING THE SAME AIR AND OMG I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! Stephen King is IT for me (pun intended), I started reading him when I was in seventh grade and had to have a signed permission slip from my mom to check out his books from the school library (which she definitely would not have done if she would have been aware of the numerous and graphic sexual situations that are in his early novels). I have read just about everything by him (I won't divulge what I haven't read as it is my deepest secret and I am burning with shame just thinking about it), but I am going to read it before November 13th so I can officially say I have read everything the man has written and published in a regular book (he's done some e-books that he's only released overseas for some reason that I haven't had time to find yet). Since I am his biggest fan, I am of course friends with him on Facebook and saw that he was doing a book tour and was coming to Kansas City, and they were releasing the details today, September 15th. I kept it in the back of my head but honestly thought that there will be no way in hell I'll actually get a ticket, they'll be ridiculously expensive, or a lottery, or enter some kind of contest or something, so imagine my surprise when they are only $30 which includes the book AND the reading is on a Thursday night so it's not super inconvenient for Jamie to take off work and watch the kids so my mom and I can go. Surprise Jamie, that's what's happening! Or he and the kids can go with us and he can 'babysit them' (as he likes to say) in the hotel room while we go to the reading. Because if there is one thing Jamie is always asking for, it is more trips with my mom. But we'll figure all that out later because right now I am just basking in the glow of a pretty much lifelong dream coming true. Seating is general admission so now I have to figure out what time to get there to get front row seats. I'm thinking at least the day before.

Wow, I had a lot to muse about. Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment