Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Christmas memory, miracle, and WTF?

First the memory:

- My sister is adopted and for a while we fostered her. I always say 'we got my sister through foster care' but that sounds a lot like 'we got my cat through the humane society' and there's gotta be a better way when you're talking about a person, but I haven't discovered it yet. Give me another 24 years and I'll figure it out. Anyway, before we 'got' her she was at this place called The Hope Center which was across from the brewery and was run by the Salvation Army. Although a quick google search makes it appear that The Hope Center doesn't exist, so maybe it wasn't called that? I'm pretty positive it was though. Maybe it's just not around anymore. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. (We did get our car stolen from in front of the orphanage though once with all the items that neighbors and family had bought from me for some fundraiser at McNair and when we got the car back, they were all still in the car. So thieves do not care about wrapping paper. Who knew?)

So while she was in the system, they did this program around Christmas where the foster kids and their foster siblings got to go to Kmart before it opened and go shopping with a police officer. I think we got like $20 to spend or something. Whatever it was, I distinctly remember buying a NKOTB poster with it which was probably not the point of the shopping trip (I'm sure we were expected to buy gifts for others) but I really wanted that poster. I think the point of the program was to build relationships with police which is kind of bizarre considering all the foster kids were children and shouldn't have had any negative experiences at such a young age, but maybe they had being that they were foster kids? I certainly didn't have any bad experiences with police as a middle-class blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl who had a bedroom with purple walls and track lighting and an extensive troll doll collection, but I was happy to take advantage of their kindness.

So here's the good part- we did this for a few years and one year there was a photographer from the North County Journal- remember the North County Journal? It is a sign of my age that I seriously miss that paper. The photographer was taking pictures of the cops and the kids, and lo and behold MY picture made it into that weeks paper. But the best part was the caption, which was something along the lines of 'Rachel Dachroeden, 9, shops with Officer Friendly from the Hazelwood Police at KMart for a program for needy children.' In case you missed it, it said NEEDY CHILDREN. Or perhaps it was disadvantaged youths. Or impoverished kids. Or troubled youngsters. Either way, it was not applicable. I was what some (Jamie) might call spoiled, but I prefer to think of it that I was the perfect child and so why wouldn't I get absolutely everything I wanted needed?

But now- the best part. My church had a bulletin board that was just for newspaper clippings from when anyone in the congregation made it in the paper for anything- little league team of the week, A honor roll, whatever. So not only did I get called out as a needy child in the local paper but it was also pinned to the bulletin board at church for at least until my mom noticed it and made them take it down. My fifteen minutes of fame- shortened by a mother's pride. How rude. I have no idea if the clipping is still around but I would love to get my hands on it if it is. I'm pretty sure I was rockin' an awesome chunky headband/perm combo...

Now, the miracle:
When we went to Kansas City last month and visited Legoland, Penny saw this stuffed dog that she really wanted. She named it and everything. I told her to put it on her Christmas list and maybe Santa will bring it. I figured she would forget about Flowers. She has not. So I looked online, looked in stores, called The Lego Store at the mall, called the gift shop at Legoland in Kansas City (who never answers the damn phone), and this dog is nowhere to be found. Not even on ebay. Apparently it is ONLY sold at Legolands for some terrible, horrible reason. My plan for dealing with this was to find a white stuffed dog that looked as similar as possible to the Flowers and hoping her memory had faded after a month apart.

But then!

My dad (stepdad for those who know the difference) drives cars for Bommarito and guess where he's driving tomorrow? KANSAS CITY! Papa for the win! So Christmas 2014 will not be ruined, all thanks to the person in St. Louis who wanted a certain car that is only in Kansas City and therefore must be picked up in Kansas City and driven back to St. Louis with a special friend in the passenger seat. A Christmas miracle indeed.

And finally, the WTF:
We cut the cord so I never watch live TV anymore except for when I"m at the Y working on my fitness. And except for when The Charlie Brown Christmas special is on TV as it was tonight. Being that we don't have a DVR, we have to watch all the commercials. ALL. THE. COMMERCIALS. It sucks. I usually tune out or even put it on mute, but one commercial actually stuck with me although I'm not 100% sure what store it is for. I think JC Penney. What stuck with me was the slogan- When it fits, you'll feel it. When it fits, you'll feel it. WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN? What does that have to do with shopping? All it makes me think about is you know what fitting in to you know what and I actually laughed out loud the first time I saw it, figuring it was some kind of joke commercial. But after seeing it a few more times, I'm pretty sure it's no joke. Someone in the marketing department came up with 'When it fits, you'll feel it' and I'm sure lots and lots of people signed off on it as a good idea. It is not a good idea. It is a hilarious idea. So thank you JC Penney or Sears or whoever you are for bringing extra Christmas cheer to everyone's inner 17 year-old-boy. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment