Monday, October 13, 2014

Weekday update

There have been some MAJOR developments in my life lately that I feel the need to update you all on. And by major developments, I mean things that most people would find very, very minor, but because I am a butler to two small children and have nothing much going on in my day-to-day world, I find these to be earth-shatteringly important. (We decided this weekend that the best job in the real world that fits what I do every day is butler. Basically a slave who gets room and board included. And Jamie is my under-butler but he sucks at it because his real job keeps getting in the damn way. I keep telling him to quit and that we can live off love, but he doesn't believe me. What a cynic.)

1. Kindergarten. The preschool where the kids go actually has a school attached to it that is not affiliated with the church, they just use the church building. It is VERY small (like one class for K-3 small) but they do half-day kindergarten and is ridiculously affordable (I hate to say cheap, but it is indeed cheap) and everyone I've talked to about it has said great things. I'm going to start scoping it out this week and talk to the director, but I'm very hopeful that I've found the solution to my kindergarten crisis. I'll let you all know at a later date, I promise.

2. Bathroom. So we got Angie's List (which is only like $3 and I thought it was like $30) and got a few bids and are having our shower redone at the end of the month. Huzzah! And Jamie is so busy and overwhelmed at work that he is just agreeing with everything, including white tile which I think is a good idea. And we have someone who is going to come in and fix the drywall issues after the tiling is done, so that will be a huge relief too. So look for the Bathroom Remodel Remodel post sometime in November!

3. Subbing. I was going to start subbing because my mom is retired and so she could watch the kids while I worked. I thought this would be doable. But then, after I went through all the hoops and interviews and fingerprints, I got the notice that orientation would be last Thursday at eight and it just kind of hit me what a giant pain in the ass subbing would be. Last Thursday would have actually worked out, Jamie would have had to go in late to work after he dropped the kids off at preschool, but I started thinking about 'What if he was out of town?,' and the logistics of all that, and then Penny had a little fever on Wednesday (a reaction from the flu mist, but at the time I wasn't positive) and I started thinking 'What if I took a sub job and then one of the kids was sick?,' and then I thought 'If I start subbing, I'll have to miss Zumba on Tuesdays and Pilates on Thursdays,' and all the REAL reasons I wasn't ready to go back to work like laziness, and freedom, and laziness, and never having to set an alarm, but mostly laziness. So I emailed the HR lady and told her it wasn't going to work this year, but I would try again next year. And I really will try again next year, the kids will be somewhere for some part of the day five days a week, and I won't feel like me working will be such a burden to anyone.

4. Dance class. Penny has dance class on Mondays, and today was the first day she didn't cry when I left the room! Success! She still stands next to the teacher during warmup for some reason though, so we'll work on that next week. And I figured out how to not have to get fast food every Monday after class, it's called the Crock Pot! Last week I made chicken and egg noodles, and this week I made soup before we left and then just put it on warm in the crock pot while we were gone. Next week, I will make another chicken dish, as that is all I know how to cook in the crock pot.

5. Jamie. Jamie has been working very hard this year and I really appreciate it. I am spoiled with not having to work and I know it. He is currently working this horrible 9 pm- 7 am shift, but today didn't get home until after 10, got about four hours of sleep, went to Penny's dance class, ate dinner, got another hour and a half of sleep and then went off to work again. Meanwhile, I slept until 9:45 today. And didn't put on actual clothes until 4:30. So I forgive him for being a crappy under butler.

That's it for the update. Now if anyone asks me about any of these things I'll know they don't read my blog and aren't really my friend. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment