- I just watched the trailer for Batman vs. Superman- is Superman supposed to be bad now? Is Batman bad too? Who's voice was in the trailer? I have so many questions. But the most important question is how often is Ben Affleck's face NOT covered with a mask because that will determine if I actually go see it or not.
- We finally got things settled with the insurance people and we are getting more for Jamie's car than I thought we would. I feel like we should have gotten even more since they never had to pay for a car rental, but the agent did not agree with me. We had a car lined up in Ohio from my uncle's aunt which was going to be a super great price and a car with very low miles, but then my parents somehow found out the car didn't have anti-lock brakes and basically forbade me from buying it. Because I'm almost 34 and my parents still make decisions for me. So now we have to find a new used car, and I'm not sure how we're going to find the time to do that as it is 9:22 and Jamie just got home from work, so please God let a great car just show up in our driveway with a note attached of where to send the money. Can you do that for me please?
- I was in a funk today because I guess a bunch of people had rough weeks because TGIF was blowing up my facebook feed and I was thinking TGIF too and then I realized that there is no fucking TGIF when your 'job' is raising children, keeping house, making meals, and doing laundry on pretty much a continuous basis for five years. Jamie obviously had a long day at work but he gets to leave his work for two days. I never get to leave my work. I realize this isn't some kind of revolutionary statement and that I should have figured this out long, long ago but today it really hit me. And I'm pretty much 100% over it. Four months til kindergarten...
- The move last week went really, really well. I was so nervous about it for some reason, I don't think I slept at all on Friday night. I hated having to ask friends for help because I know if someone asked me to help them move I would be less than excited, but either my friends are really good fakers or genuinely nice people because no one acted like they were hating it. Nik even brought a whole cooler of beer and music (of course) and also a camera to take a time-lapse video of unloading the truck (of course). And I am rarely serious or sentimental on this blog, but I am so grateful for friends that actually make moving fun and then stay and hang out after the move to drink on the deck. And I have known all (but one) of them since junior high or before and through moves across the country and back (them, not me), have managed to stay in touch PRE-FACEBOOK and stay close enough friends that were willing to help us move with a smile on their faces. That's something special right there.
- The new house is coming along, my OCD of a place for everything and everything in it's place is rearing it's ugly head though; any free moment that isn't spent doing my 'job' is spent unpacking boxes. I can't even go in the basement without hyperventilating a little, but the upstairs is pretty much done. I spent part of today figuring out my closets. (Closets! As in more than one! And my! As in not one closet that has my clothes, Jamie's clothes, Harry's clothes and Penny's clothes!) The next big hurdle will be decorating, Jamie and I are not very good decorators and I don't know if we're supposed to decorate with the same stuff we had in the old house or get all new stuff. I thought I read somewhere that your new house will be under a gypsy's curse if you use your old wall hangings. I need to write to one of those shows on HGTV I never watch to find out. Or Mythbusters.
- I can't decide if I should have our housewarming party on a Saturday or Sunday. I have the weekend picked, I just need to decide on the day of the week. This decision is consuming my every waking thought. That's normal right?
- A long time ago I saw this ad about a research study at Wash U on childhood depression. They were looking for kids between 4 and 6 who have signs of depression and kids who don't. I thought it sounded interesting so I emailed the researcher and she got in touch with me this week about doing it, and I was all excited until she said that Harrison would have to get an MRI which would last 30 minutes. I need to do some research of my own about MRI's effect on the developing brain, but that part just makes me nervous. So we'll see. But I've always wanted to be in a research study, my assumption is that it will be being filmed for 60 Minutes and I'll get to meet Morley Safer OR they'll discover something groundbreaking and name it 'The Rachel Effect'. Anything less than that happens and I'm going to be pissed.
- The kids were playing in the backyard today while I was in the basement and I opened the door to tell them I was down there, and to not leave the door open all the way because we don't want a bunny to hop in the house and now it is Penny's number one goal in life to get a bunny into our house. She immediately started collecting leaves, grass, flowers and whatever she thinks a bunny could be tricked into following a path of into our house. Sometimes she is cute.
- And while I'm on the topic of kids playing in the backyard, there's been this article going around facebook about 'Free-Range Parenting', and one of my friends posted it and then a bunch of her friends posted how they would never let their child even go in the backyard by themselves and Oh the Humanity, people actually let their kids ride their bikes to a friend's house???? and this is basically what is wrong with the world at this moment and why kids are growing up to be shitheads. If your kid can't go in the backyard by himself, how the hell is he going to go to college by himself? Jesus Christ.
- Jamie was going downstairs to go to the bathroom and get a beer (we have a beer fridge now!!!) and when he came up I was going to ask him to make me a bowl of ice cream but he hasn't come up yet. And I can hear pages of some kind of book or magazine turning. He's probably looking at an old National Geographic, VIBE magazine, baseball card or comic book as these are all things we moved from our old house to this house. While I'm literally DYING up here for some cookie dough ice cream. TGIF my ass.
No comments:
Post a Comment