Friday, October 18, 2013

I blame you, Kim

My Blog!
Hi! I did it! I started a blog! Now no one will be friends with me on facebook anymore because they won't have the joy of harassing me to start a blog, so really what's the point anymore?

So I've had a lot of qualms about starting a blog, and I figured it would make a good first blog post:

Reasons why I should NOT have a blog:
 - Getting a job some day in the far, far, far, far, far, (one far for every year), far, far, far, far, far, far, far future.
For those of you who don't know, I graduated with my EdD (Educational Doctorate) in December 2010, six and a half months after my kids were born and I officially became a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM from here on out, I don't do dashes very well). So not the best timing. I started the program with the rainbow dreams and unicorn fantasies that getting pregnant would be no problem, I'd have one kid and life would resume to normal after my six-week maternity leave. That didn't happen, and pretty much as soon as I knew I was having twins, I knew I wasn't going back to work. But by this time, I was only a year out from graduating and it seemed super dumb too just quit. Plus, I like school and I really liked my Doctoral cohort at Maryville.

So fast forward three years and I'm loving staying at home, have absolutely no desire within any part of me to go back to work, but have this degree hanging over my head like the Sword of Damocles, and I know that I will have to go back someday, out of sheer boredom and the gentle prodding of my loving husband. So when I DO go back to work, I don't want some HR person to find this blog, declare me a crazy person, and then not hire me. Or when I do get a job, I worry about students/parents finding the blog, declaring me a crazy person, and then wanting to be my best friend.
So that's reason number one. 

- Pedophiles/Devil Worshipers/General Bad Guys:
My kids are super cute obviously, little blonde- (blondish for H) haired, blue-eyed cherubs sent from heaven, which are also just like the kids that the devil worshipers want to kidnap on Halloween night. Or so my mom warned me from birth- 10th grade. And my kids have friends, and we do a lot with their friends, and I have an addiction to taking pictures of my kids and their friends, so if I post the pictures on the blog I worry about the weirdos in the world looking at them. And then my friends getting mad at me and I'd have to give my BE FRI part of the BEST FRIENDS heart necklace back. So I need to figure out some privacy settings. Bill Gates or whoever invented Google, if you're reading this could you call me please?
And that's reason number two.

- My grandparents/mom/aunts/anyone over the age of 55 who is easily scandalized
Believe it or not, I censor myself A LOT on facebook for the sake that my Grandpa is now my facebook friend, (thank you Dad), but before that it was because my aunt was my facebook friend, or the sweet older woman from the sorority, or basically anyone who I was afraid would read something and get all flustered and think less of me. Because I've pretty much been a goody-two-shoes people pleaser my whole life, and I kind of like the thing I have going with that. So no one tell my grandpa about this blog please. Unless I become wildly famous, then give me time to clean it up. This fear is also the only thing holding me back from being on The Real World, MTV has been straight buggin' me for decades to be on that show, but I just can't bring shame to my family's good name that way. Anyway...
that's reason number three. Which is a lot like reason number four...

- Republicans/Sports Fans
Now sports fans don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm not putting you in the same category as republicans it's just getting late and I am already over this whole blog thing. Kidding! Maybe?

Anywho, so you know during the election when everyone was putting on facebook 'Why can't we just agree to disagree' or 'I need to take a break from all this hate' I was sitting pretty because I straight up blocked yo ass if you dare said one bad thing about my man Barack Husein Obama. I LOVE OBAMA. I love everything about him, I love (almost) everything he's done, if he hijacked the constitution and made it a law that he was president for life, I would run naked through the streets shouting for joy. I love him. And I can't stand for one second to see anything negative about him or basically anything I value or believe, so at the first sight of a 'Like if you believe Obama is coming for your guns' or 'Like if you want to appeal Obamacare' I just go to my settings and hide the person. And then I wait a while and unhide them and see if the crazy has calmed down, and if it hasn't we go back to our secret facebook relationship.

Now this is not a political blog by any stretch of the imagination, but there are plenty times where I can get myself going into a good rant on facebook but hold back because I don't want to offend anyone. And this is where the sports fans come into play, there are lots of times where I want to set my status to 'Who the hell cares?' when there's some big, exciting basketball game that everyone is talking about or something, but I don't. So maybe one day I might blog about something 'controversial' (Did you hear that Adam Wainwright went to a Tea Party rally?) or a topic in the news (and by the news I mean featured on the Diane Rehm show, Morning Edition or All Things Considered), and it may not be sugarcoated because I don't want to sugarcoat it. And I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I gotta be me. Some of my very, very best friends are Republicans, some are sports fans, and a few are Republican sports fans, and if we can manage to live together and love each other, then there is truly hope for this blog. Am I rambling? Did I mention it was getting late?
So that's number four, and I feel like there should be five things, so...

-I can't think of a fifth thing. Global warming? I'm going to go with global warming for number five.

That's it! My first blog post! Thank you for reading this, the three people I will tell about it initially. And then everyone else eventually. Good night! (Do you do a send off in blogs? Is that bad blog behavior? This should have been my number five- I have no idea what in the hell I'm doing.)


6 comments:

  1. I am KIM. Yes; you can all thank me for being the bossy bitch that made Rachel (Not her real name) start this blog! She is afraid of me because I am bigger and wiser (i.e. older) than her. Just ask her...she will tell you..anyway I love this girl even though she's a liberal tree hugger and I hate the environment and poor people. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect start to a highly funny and i'm sure offensive blog that will make all the crazy people in your neighborhood stalk your children and your relatives hate you. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm over 55 and not easily scandalized; usually I find stuff like that entertaining. Actually, my main goal in life is to be entertained so good going on that. As far as politics goes, I was raised by the last two remaining Democrats living in Kansas (there used to be 3 but I moved); we have to hide our love of our man in DC from everyone including the rest of my family. I had to physically restrain myself from commenting on my cousin's Facebook comment complaining about signing up for Obamacare. I wanted to yell at her to just sign up for the god-damned insurance already. It now occurs to me that maybe you were being sarcastic about your love of Obama much like Stephen Colbert pretends to be conservative. If so, ignore previous comment I will go back into the Democrat closet. To be honest, I'm procrastinating on writing my newsletter article so I better get back to it. Good luck with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Gail, my love for Obama is one thing that I never joke about, I'm about as liberal as they come. Bleeding heart and all. No worries, you are welcome here. ;)

      Delete
  4. Well with me being Jamie's Mom, I hope I get to stay. I love your blogs, and I'm pretty sure your Mom knows by now. I won't be the one to tell her tho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your stories about the kids and can't wait for some uncensored, scandalous posts ;)

    ReplyDelete