Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas traditions- Santa

As i tis the season, (see what I did there?), I thought I would share some of our family Christmas traditions. So that when my kids visit this blog in 15 years, they can think, 'Man, I had SUCH an awesome mom.' Because if this blog is about nothing else, it's about making me look good.

Anyway, the traditions. You can't hear me, but I just busted out some Fiddler on the Roof and it was pretty amazing. As my kids are only 3.5 we don't have an absolute ton, but I don't think we will really ever have a ton. And there is also the fact that I'm writing this while watching Homeland, so I'm not really paying much attention. Because Brody (not this season Brody, he is a bald mess). And Carrie. But mostly Saul. I just want to rub my face in his beard.

With that being said, let's talk about my second favorite beard- SANTA! We see Santa approximately 65 times during the month of December. One of these times is at the Breakfast with Santa that my Twins Club puts on.It's awesome for many reasons, games, crafts, yummy breakfast, being able to take your own pictures with Santa, but the best thing of all is that you help set up, you and your family get to go for free! And I love free!

Year one. Blissfully oblivious of...

Year two. Even Santa was distraught. This photo was a finalist, but not the winner, for a local radio station 'Scary Santa' contest, we were thisclose to our 15 minutes of fame. So worth the permanent damage we did.

Year three. Penny is still not buying it.

Year four- Success! It's amazing what they'll do when they know presents are involved. Amazing and a little scary.
We also see Santa at my friend's mom's Christmas party. Not only does Santa come to the party, but he brings presents that the hostess buys throughout the year for each kid. SO, SO nice. And the kids get to sit on Santa's lap individually, which I appreciate for picture purposes. Plus there is free beer. 
Year one. They still have these Curious George's in their beds.

My baby boy. <3

Year two. Not so much. But the dress was darling.

I think he was eating something here? Probably not my best plan as a parent. Crying=potential choking hazard.

Year three. This is as good as it got. This was when she saw Santa walk through the door.

Harrison was a little bolder.

Year four- All grown up!

He got a kickass tool belt that he was VERY excited about.
Another tradition is that we host an Open House/Toy Drive every year. I stole the idea from a friend of a friend, and started it when the kids were 18-months old. We ask our guests to bring a toy for Toys for Tots, which we collect and bring to a drop-off site sometime following the party. So I plan the Open House for that reason, but I also really like hosting parties and seeing all of our friends around the holidays, which is not always easy to do. I'm usually not a group mixer, so the week leading up to the party I'm a ball of nerves, but when the day comes I always have a great time. And hopefully everyone else does too. Or they fake it really well. This year we had 'Santa' come for the kids (which was another thing that made me incredibly nervous), but it turned out to be really, really great. And so, we can add that to the list of times my kids have seen Santa this year.
Santa looks so young! Must be the botox.

I was going to write about the other things we do, but Homeland, and it's after 11 and Homeland. So I'll save those for next time. Homeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment