I like real Christmas trees. And because I like real Christmas trees, Jamie likes real Christmas trees. When I was a kid I had a serious allergy to real Christmas trees, but like my allergy to cats, I magically grew out of it. Or taking Tavist-D every day for 25 years finally paid off. So since Jamie and I have been together we have gotten a real tree, and at some point we started going to Tree Farms to cut our own. As the environmentalists do. Al Gore told me. Maybe it was Jamie. Same/same.
We typically go to Eckert's, but this year we tried somewhere new on the recommendation of a friend. We traveled over the river and through the woods (literally) to Daniken Tree Farm in majestic Pocahontas, Illinois, birthplace of Gretchen Wilson, the original Redneck Woman. It was a much smaller operation than Eckert's, but cheaper trees and more rednecks. So everybody wins. We had a great time, and by we I mean everyone but Penny. As the pictures will tell...
 |
| On the tractor ride thirty feet south (north? west? east?) of the barn. We could have walked easily, but you know three-year-olds and their damn tractor obsessions. Notice Penny's excitement. |
 |
| Tree-hunting. There were a LOT of really great ones to choose from and we didn't have to search nearly as long as we have in the past for a tree. One point to the rednecks. |
 |
| He is ready to saw! |
 |
| Posing in front of our tree. This was news to P. She thought it was just A tree. |
|
 |
| Beginning the sawing process. Did you know it takes a 3.5 year-old 4 hours and 26 minutes to cut down a tree? |
 |
| P is not a fan of the sawing process. |
 |
| Really. |
 |
| She hates it. |
 |
| So she decides to leave our family (tree) and search for a new one. |
 |
| Still searching. |
 |
| Trying to evade capture. I offered her up to two other families during this event, but I didn't have any takers. Strange. |
|
 |
| Meanwhile, the tree had been felled. |
 |
| Victory! |
 |
| Victory? (We found out later that she was pissed because she wanted to take ALL the trees, not just one. I hope I can remember this story when they interview me for her Hoarders episode.) |
 |
| This picture is my everything. My alpha and omega. I'm going to frame this and give it to her at the birth of her first daughter. Because when you are already telling your toddler 'I hope you have a daughter just like you,' you know your first granddaughter is going to be off-the-charts crazy. In a good way of course. |
 |
| Me and my favorite child of the day. |
 |
| What's the point in having kids if you don't make them do all the hard labor? |
 |
| Waiting for the tractor. I think I told them that if they didn't smile, they would be on the naughty list. I love Santa. |
 |
| The 45 second tractor-ride back to the main lot. |
 |
| Ready for the drive home. At some point on 170 Harrison unrolled his window for some reason and I had a moment of panic that the tree had blown off. But no. We all made it home safely. |
|
And then we watched some Charlie Brown Christmas, decorated the tree and the house, ate Indian food (and dinosaur chicken nuggets), played trains and colored and went to bed.The end. Merry first day of the Advent Calendar!
No comments:
Post a Comment