Thursday, November 14, 2013

Games children play

I'm not going to pretend that anyone who doesn't know me reads this blog, so you all know I have boy/girl twins. I have tried really, really hard, made a serious effort here, to not buy them stereotypical toys (overload H on superheros, overload P on princesses), but in spite of my best efforts- they are both a walking stereotype. Which makes it very interesting when playtime comes around. I have a thing about TV that I haven't gotten over yet, so when we are at home in the morning or after nap we have a lot of time to play. My kids are very, very good at playing independently (thank you Jesus), but that only lasts so long and sometimes I get bored and decide to jump into 'dollhouse' or 'racecars', which I regret almost instantly. But I'm making treasured memories, right? RIGHT?

So this afternoon H wanted to wrestle. We don't do this often, he's much more of a read-a-million-books boy than a rough-and-tumble boy, but I didn't mind (except for the two times that he bit me, that was no good). But I could not stop laughing because we would be mid-wrestle, and P would come and put a princess tiara on me and give me a wand. Or I would be on the ground after he knocked me over and she would put a blanket on top of me because I was her baby. She seemed totally oblivious to the fact that I'm in a serious wrestling match here and not playing house with her. And this sort of thing happens all the time. Her and I (She and I?- I am losing brain cells by the day) will be playing dollhouse and all of the sudden H's bulldozer will come and knock it down. Or one of his cars will come and steal the baby. So then I'm playing two totally different things at the same time, and neither kid seems to notice that I'm splitting my time between them. Or we are all playing cars, but P and I are playing 'mommy car/baby car' and H and I are playing 'crash the cars together over and over again for no understandable reason'. It is quite the balancing act. But I wouldn't have it any other way (said the cheesy mom, not me, I would never actually say anything like that in the real world, but I can't figure out another way to end this post. I was never good at conclusions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment