So I've been involved with the Big Brothers, Big Sisters program for the last two years. My little is a teenager, let's call her Emily (I'm sure there's some kind of rule against giving her name in a blog, but I'm too lazy to investigate it). He favorite restaurant is IHOP (we are clearly perfectly matched), so we go there for breakfast often. You didn't know there were these kinds of perks with mentoring programs, did you? You should think about volunteering...
Anywho, I've been trying to have more serious conversations with her as she enters high school and all the boy drama that can come along with that. I have a hard time finding the balance between friend/teacher/mom/mentor and I try to listen more than I talk, but there are some times I can't keep my mouth shut. Shocking, right? So she was telling me how she can't wait to be an adult, and if she had a kid it would be fine, she would just bring the baby with her everywhere, and she's practically grown anyway, yada, yada, yada.
And then...
the food comes...
and she asks me to cut her pancakes for her.
It was pretty amazing. My tongue might have been bleeding from biting it so hard. But as soon as it stopped bleeding she did a lot of listening. I'll wear my 'friend' hat next time. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment